Niknon Photography Discussion  

Go Back   Niknon Photography Discussion > Other Stuff > Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules

Old 12-17-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Matt
Proud new XTi Owner!

Default Always double-check your settings!

This is going to expose me for more of a n00b that I'd like to admit, but I thought I would share anyway:

Just a little bit ago, i saw that the golden hour was upon my neighborhood; those fleeting, beautiful moments right before sunset, where the sun casts the warmest of light, basking all it touches in a beautifully soft, golden glow. I peered out my window and saw a photo-op: the hills behind my house were practically glowing red against a beautiful blue, partly cloudy sky! I grabbed my camera, booked it out the door, and headed down the road aways so I could have a better view, and double checked my ISO and metering (since the last few pictures I had taken were indoors at night). By the time I was ready to shoot, the light was over halfway gone, and creeping up the mountain at a rapid clip. Undeterred, I grabbed several quick shots before the light quickly slid away.

It was on the walk back up my street that I finally started looking at the pictures I had just shot. It was then that I was horrified to see that I still had a custom white-balance set (I was teaching myself how to customize the white balance setting last night). The results were none too pleasing.

The Result:

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

Wait for it....

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

Lessons learned:
• Anticipate the shot. By the time I looked out the window and saw the lighting was right, it was really too late to try to run down the road and capture the moment--When the moment hits, you need to shoot NOW, not in 5 minutes.

• Double--and triple-check your settings.

• Preview your pictures more closely as you're shooting. I saw the pictures looked a little funny as I was shooting, but I thought the metering must have just underexposed the mountains because of the comparitively bright sky; I figured I'd fix that later if need be.

These are lessons I already knew. I spent two years as a photographer for yearbook in college, and I've been taking pictures as a hobbiest for several years now. I know all this stuff. But I am reminded the importance of these lessons now and again. I really feel like a fool.

Last edited by Matt; 12-17-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Freddy Flash

Sorry to hear that it went thata way I take it you didn't shoot in RAW+L?
Freddy Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
chimphappyhour
:p

Yeah, this is why I shoot RAW. Also, I'll fire off a couple frames then chimp my shots quickly and make changes. (Btw, that isn't where my user name came from, oddly enough.)

I've also learned to set my camera back to what I consider to be "base" settings before it goes back in the bag for the day. ISO (100), WB (Cloudy), mode dial (aperture priority) and aperture (f8).
Old 12-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Matt
Proud new XTi Owner!

That's probably a much better idea, to re-set the settings back to a "default" set before putting the camera away. I didn't even think of shooting raw mainly because I think I'm still somewhat in a P&S mindset...on any digicams i ever owned that could shoot raw, it brought the camera to its knees. Take a shot, 20 seconds later you can take another shot...

It's all good though, I know to be more careful from now on, and I'm learning more and more about my camera every day

what does it mean to "chimp" your shots, if I might ask? I know, i'm a noob!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
Freddy Flash

It's taking a break, looking through what you've taken and deleting the ones you don't want to keep

RAW on your XT should be almost seamless. Well, unless you're going for as fast a frame rate as possible. But I doubt that'll much happen for landscapes
Freddy Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
Tanner

My mistake is not setting the right ISO, but then if I'm using too high of an ISO I should know better when I'm getting awfully quick shutter speeds when shooting outdoors and it being sunny.

Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
Matt
Proud new XTi Owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
My mistake is not setting the right ISO, but then if I'm using too high of an ISO I should know better when I'm getting awfully quick shutter speeds when shooting outdoors and it being sunny.

LOOL Whatever you have to do man, that's a good idea!

I should add, sir, that I'm a huge fan of your photography. I just spent about a half hour poring over your pictures on your website. Excellent work. If I could take pictures like that, I'd quit my day job.

Last edited by Matt; 12-17-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
Tanner

lol thanks Matt. Love photography as a hobby, made a few bucks this year which is nice for spending money or cover some of the travel expenses, but don't need it turn into a full time job. There's money if you're good but there's a lot of talent out there! I know a few that tried it, most go back to a regular 9-5 job
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote